In 2012 Johan and I were approached by Packt Publishing to submit an outline on OSGi for their Starter series. Both Johan and I have been working with modular java frameworks and runtime environments for years - so being given an opportunity to share our experiences and help developers quickly come up to speed was a fortuity.
Our goal was write the book such that a java developer could pick it up on a Friday afternoon and come Monday morning be ready to join a team project based in OSGi, with an already established software architecture, and be productive.
To this end some of the points our book focuses on are:
- Discover the basic tenets of the OSGi and modular programming.
- Deploy and manage your OSGi applications in a runtime container.
- Gain familiarity with OSGi tooling
- Understand the Bundle as the most basic layer of OSGI modularity.
- Master the OSGi Lifecycle model for modular code.
- Learn about Services - producer and consumer bundles are demonstrated.
- Gain exposure to key OSGi patterns such as Whiteboard and Extender.
- Find more information and supporting communities for OSGi developers.
Our book is available via Packt Publishing, hard copies via their affiliate stores such as Amazon.com.